This walk is a strenuous hike up to the rock quarries, (‘las canterras’ in Spanish) where the Incas mined and shaped the massive stones that make up the Ollantaytambo fortress. It is closer to a half day trip as opposed to a full day, but we have it listed in the Full Day section because it is a long and strenuous hike that takes more than four hours to properly enjoy, yet is not as grueling as the option below that includes also Inti Punku, which is another 2 hours each way higher up the mountain than the Quarries.
- Tour duration: 1 days
- Difficulty: medium
We leave directly from Ollantaytambo and go down to the Urubamba river and cross the bridge over into Cachiccata. The route turns into a narrow trail that goes steeply up the mountain side. This area is rich with archeological discoveries, several of them hidden but we know where they are ! Incan mummies, a little-known Incan carved wheel, and a lot of Incan ruins where the workers lived are the highlights of this walk. This hike also has great views of the sacred mountain Veronica and of Ollantaytambo. This walk requires a moderate amount of fitness, but those not up for hiking can still accompany the group by using a horse for the ascent, ask us for details.
Includes a quality picnic lunch and knowledgeable guide who can point out the many unique sites of interest along the way. English may not be spoken so please let us know if that is a requirement, a small additional extra charge may apply. Time required is approximately 3 to 4 hours and the cost is $80 per person, with a minimum of two people.
GALERIA DE FOTOS
The tour includes
The tour does not include
- Short wind coats
- Mineral water
- Some snack if you wish
- During the trip, your main luggage can be stored in our office or at your hotel, or in our mobility both free of charge.
- Pocket money in nuevos soles.
- A small backpack. for your water
- Rain clothes (a waterproof jacket).
- Hat or cap (to protect against sun, rain and cold).
- Sunscreen or sunscreen.
- Camera. Photo
- We can leave it in the place you want but it has an extra cost
- We can coordinate a typical lunch for you
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Requires minimal experience, regular physical condition
- It is not recommended for people with heart problems or respiratory problems
- Medium difficulty
|02 to more||Tour|